- Housing, Building & Maintenance
- Licensed Skilled Trades
- Other, Licensed|Skilled Trade
- Project Manager
- Urban & City Planning
- Laborer | Technician
SUMMARY / PURPOSE:
Conduct inspections, review permits, and provide technical assistance for commercial, industrial, and residential construction and building projects.
* Essential job functions.
+ Job requirements necessary on the first day of employment.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES (OTHER DUTIES MAY BE ASSIGNED):
1. Inspect building construction, installation, alteration, and repair in residential, commercial, and industrial buildings and facilities for compliance with building codes and ordinances governing construction work.
* A. Inspect building footings and foundations for proper size, placement, and construction, and review the placement of structures for compliance with codes, ordinances, and zoning and planning requirements.
* B. Inspect the quality of materials for wood framing, lathing, plastering, tiling, masonry, and other construction work.
* C. Review diagrams, prepared plans, and specifications to ensure that they meet established codes, ordinances, and zoning requirements.
* D. Conduct maintenance inspections of existing industrial, commercial, and residential establishments or structures.
* E. Determine conformance problems, issue notices regarding correction of defective work, advise on methods of correction, and perform re-inspection.
* F. Issue citations or orders to stop work that is in violation of the proper codes.
* G. Ensure that all work is performed in a safe manner using approved methods.
* H. Approve certification of final inspection when required.
* I. Consult with Building Official and State Building Codes and Standards Division when necessary.
* J. Operate City vehicle to, from, and around inspection sites.
2. Do related work as required.
* A. Maintain computerized records of inspections made and actions taken.
* B. Write and prepare forms and reports as required.
* C. Review permit applications and estimate building costs for accurate fee estimates.
* D. Attend training sessions and review technical and professional literature to upgrade knowledge necessary for effective job performance and to keep abreast of new developments and requirements.
* E. Serve as a technical expert, conduct presentations, and provide information to other City divisions, contractors, engineers, architects and the public regarding codes, ordinances, and proper methods governing construction work.
* F. Attend and participate in division meetings, and serve as a member of the Building Inspection team on related projects.
* G. Perform inspections, review permits, and provide technical assistance in other
construction areas as needed.
* H. Perform other related duties as assigned.
Education & Experience Requirements
Successful completion of a certified apprentice program in Carpentry or Masonry plus three (3) years of experience as a journey carpenter or mason. This experience must include three (3) years in residential construction and three (3) years in commercial construction; or equivalent training and experience.
+ Possession of a valid Minnesota driver's license or privilege by the date of appointment and thereafter.