Public Information Officer
- Public Relations
- Business, Management & Operations
- Civil Service
- Public Administration
- Marketing & Communications
- Public Relations
- Marketing | Communications
- Professional Services
Summary / Purpose
The City of Duluth, Minnesota, is seeking a highly skilled Public Information Officer to oversee and coordinate public information programs for city departments; develop publicity activities to heighten awareness for department activities, services, and programs; and develop and expand communication resources for outreach to the City and citizens.
Under the direction of the City Administration with support from the other City communications employees, the Public Information Officer will act as liaison between the City Departments, the public and the news media. The daily work involves providing strategic policy advice to department management regarding such areas as internal and external communications, media relations, community relations, and public information. This is an exciting professional opportunity in an engaged community.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities (other duties may be assigned):
- Work directly with administrative staff to develop and implement policies and strategies related to internal and external communications, public relations, marketing, community relations, and public information.
- Direct the activities of the public relations detail and manage effective relationships with all news media.
- Coordinate media efforts, press conferences (as needed), and public communications during police emergency response events.
- Respond to media inquiries related to designated City department and coordinate interviews and information response.
- Write, edit, and publish news releases about the designated City department(s).
- Support the Administration and Department Heads with prewritten statements and messages for media interviews and appearances.
- Develop mechanisms and strategies to facilitate communication between the department heads, Chief Administrative Officer, and employees regarding progress toward organizational goals, changes, and achievements.
- Represent the department in various dealings with the public or other agencies.
- Communicate with and advise other departmental staff on service requests, problems, or issues relating to area of responsibility.
- Oversee media training of key department spokespersons and assist in media relations and procedures.
- Plan and compose news stories, articles, speeches, radio and television scripts, bulletins, and various periodic and special purpose reports, video/slide productions, brochures, flyers, and promotional/marketing materials as needed.
- Coordinate special events such as open house programs, displays, and exhibits.
- Answer written and telephone inquiries regarding City activities.
- Demonstrate superior seamless customer service, integrity, and commitment to innovation, efficiency, and fiscally responsible activity.
- Provide effective and efficient liaison efforts with City of Duluth's Communications & Policy Officer.
- Prepare reports and presentations about City department(s) for community groups and City Council.
- Attend neighborhood and communitywide programs as needed.
- Update and keep current information on the City and department(s) website and intranet through the City's content management system.
- Assist with recruitment efforts for the department(s), including, but not limited to website, advertisements, and recruitment video and script messages.
- Assist the staff in the coordination of ceremonial events for the City.
- Promote special events.
- Provide content and assist in managing the City and/or department social media efforts (e.g., Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.).
- Attend conferences, trainings, and other meetings to stay current with successful practices in public information.
- Manage employee performance, and provide training, coaching, and mentoring for employees.
- Provide clear, sufficient, and timely direction and information to the employees about plans, expectations, tasks, and activities.
- Demonstrate highly-effective leadership by promoting and supporting the mission and vision of the organization, recognizing and defining issues, and taking initiative towards improvements.
- Recommend the hire, transfer, assignment, promotion, employee grievance resolution, discipline, suspension, or discharge of assigned personnel.
- Establish and maintain positive working relationships with the employees by maintaining two-way communications, producing consistent results, advocating for the team when appropriate, and offering expertise to improve processes, systems, and the organization.
- Other duties may be assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in public or media relations, communications, government, or a degree related to the area of service posted.
- Five (5) years of experience in public relations, journalism, or a related field.
- An equivalent combination of education and progressively responsible experience in general or specialized public or media relations work totaling seven (7) years.
- Supervisory experience preferred.
- Experience working with a government agency preferred.
- Possess and maintain a valid Minnesota Class D Driver's License or equivalent.
All highly qualified candidates are encouraged to apply.
The City of Duluth is an equal opportunity and veteran-friendly employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, marital status, familial status, age, sexual orientation, status with regard to public assistance, disability, genetic information, veteran status or activity in a local Human Rights Commission or any other characteristic protected by law.
Hours Per Week: 40
Probation Period: 12 months
Duration of Eligible List: 7 months