Human Rights Assistant
- Community Services & Non-Profits
- Other Community Services and Non-Profits
- Social Worker
- Professional Services
- Administrative Support
- Other, Professional Services
- Business, Management & Operations
SUMMARY / PURPOSE:
To provide administrative support to the Human Rights Officer and facilitate, coordinate, and support office activities.
**This is a non-bargaining unit, part-time position that will work no more than 13 hours per week and does not qualify for employee benefits.**
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES (OTHER DUTIES MAY BE ASSIGNED):
1. Manage calendars; schedule appointments, meetings, and events; coordinate travel arrangements as needed.
2. Arrange and prepare spaces for various meetings and assist with post-meeting clean-up.
3. Prepare and distribute agenda packets for various meetings.
4. Attend meetings and take minutes, as appropriate.
5. Provide staff support for the Human Rights Commission and other Commissions staffed by the Human Rights Officer.
6. Act as a liaison for the Human Rights Office throughout the organization and externally to concerned customers, community members, and public/private organizations.
7. Maintain confidentiality regarding all matters handled within the Human Rights Office.
8. Serve as receptionist for the Human Rights Office, answering phones, working at front desk, and referring customers to the proper contact/location.
9. Prepare, type, and edit correspondence, reports, and other documents.
10. Coordinate the distribution of outgoing/incoming mail and deliveries.
11. Assist the Human Rights Officer with office-related technical support.
12. Respond courteously and professionally to inquiries from employees, citizens, and others; when necessary, refer to appropriate person.
13. Create and maintain a filing system for organizing and storing both electronic and hard-copy information and records, ensuring records are accurate, up-to-date, and in compliance with record retention policies.
14. Be an effective team member by exhibiting self-motivation, supporting other employees in handling tasks, interacting effectively and respectfully with others, showing a desire to contribute to the team effort, accepting assignments willingly, and completing tasks within agreed upon timelines.
15. Other duties may be assigned.
A. Must be age 18 or older.
Education & Experience Requirements
A. One year of office administrative assistant experience.
A. Knowledge of English grammar, spelling, punctuation, and proper sentence construction.
B. Knowledge of proper telephone etiquette.
C. Knowledge of modern and effective methods of office administration.
A. Proficiency with Microsoft Office programs, including experience with mail merge, spreadsheets, and databases.
B. Exemplary customer service skills.
C. Skill in communicating effectively both orally and in writing.
D. Highly effective organizational and time-management skills.
E. Skill in composing business correspondence and preparing documents using independent judgment.
F. Attention to detail and accuracy.
A. Ability to create and maintain a positive working environment that welcomes diversity, ensures cooperation, and promotes respect by sharing expertise with team members, fostering safe work practices, and developing trusting work relationships.
B. Ability to be sensitive to the needs and issues affecting people of diverse backgrounds.
C. Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality.
D. Ability to interpret questions, provide satisfactory explanations, and resolve complaints.
E. Ability to produce documents using proper sentence structure, punctuation, grammar, and spelling.
F. Ability to operate standard office equipment.
G. Ability to plan, organize, and prioritize workload within established timelines to meet deadlines.
H. Ability to work independently and exercise discretion in the absence of specific instructions.
Physical Ability Requirements
A. Ability to stand or sit for extended periods.
B. Fine dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard and other office equipment.
C. Ability to talk and hear to exchange information.
D. Ability to occasionally bend, stoop and reach overhead, above the shoulders and horizontally, to retrieve and store files, office supplies, etc.
E. Ability to lift and carry items such as reports and paperwork weighing up to 20 pounds.
F. Ability to transport oneself to, from, and around worksites.
G. Ability to attend work as scheduled.
If you are selected as a finalist, you will be contacted to arrange an interview for this position.
- Full Time
- High School Graduate or Equivalent
- 2-5 Years Experience